Pratt is seeking Glass Studio Technician
12/09/2019Title: Glass Studio Technician
Reports to: Glass Studio Manager
Status: Full-time, Exempt, $40-45K annual salary range + benefits
Pratt Fine Arts Center is seeking a highly motivated and skilled Glass Studio Technician to join our dynamic team. The primary role of the Glass Studio Technician is to provide for the smooth and safe operation of all of Pratt’s glass studios serving a diverse community of accessed studio artists, instructors and students. The Glass Studio Technician maintains, repairs, and updates all glass studio equipment and tools and facilitates the procurement of studio supplies and materials as needed. In addition, the Glass Studio Technician provides technical support and expertise within the department, for Pratt overall, and for the broader Glass community.
Pratt Fine Arts Center is an equal opportunity employer and committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. People of color are encouraged to apply.
- Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, and updates for all equipment and tools within Pratt’s Glass Department including combustion equipment, electrical kilns, and related control systems.
- Operational and technical support to accessed studio artists, instructors, and students.
- Promotes safe working practices in all of Pratt’s studios.
- Procurement of studio supplies and consumables as needed within the Glass Department.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with key vendors.
- Management of Pratt’s furnace charging team and oversight of Glass Department volunteers.
- Available for on call response to studio emergencies.
- Assist in the implementation of special events and fundraisers.
- Serve as an ambassador for Pratt’s programs to the broader glass community.
- General facilities help.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Robust knowledge of glass art studio practices and processes including, glass blowing, cold working, sandblasting, kiln working, flame working, and mold making including experience with furnace glass melts and annealing.
- Knowledge of studio equipment for all of the above.
- Strong organizational, time management, project management, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Experience in working in a studio art and/or not-for-profit environment.
- Ability to learn new skills and self-educate as the needs of the position evolve.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office.
- 5+ years of experience in glass studio maintenance and operations.
- Passion for arts education and a passion for glass as a creative material.
- Desire to work in a collaborative team based environment.
- Studio operation budget development and oversight.
- Electrical and/or electronics experience.
- Welding and metal fabrication skills or experience.
- Woodworking skills or experience.
- Knowledge of forklift operation or forklift certification.
- Competence in serving diverse populations
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Compensation: $40-45k annual salary range, DOE + medical, dental, long-term disability, and paid vacation. Employee-paid short-term disability and retirement programs are provided, but optional. Also includes generous in-kind benefits in the form of class registrations and studio access.
Application Deadline: Sunday, January 5, 2020
Application Requirements: Please email cover letter, resume, and three references to Scott Darlington, Glass Studio Manager, at email@example.com. No calls or drop-ins, please.
Pratt Fine Arts Center is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, membership or educational programs and activities. Furthermore, Pratt Fine Arts Center is committed to retaining to a racially diverse team. People of color are encouraged to apply.